Have you been told that you snore? Are you a sleep talker? You might just be curious about your sleep pattern.
Your sleep behavior could be a sign of a sleep disorder. It can be hard to identify sleep disorders without recordings. This is why sleep recorders were invented.
This article will name sleep recorder apps you can download on your iPhone or Android devices from the app store. Before we do that, we’ll talk about what sleep recorders do and the most common sleep disorders that benefit from sleep recording.
Quality sleep starts with your mattress. Check out SONU for the only mattress around that offers you arm support, making it perfect while you scroll through your sleep app on your smart device.
What Is a Sleep Recorder App?
Sleep recorder apps allow you to capture how you sound when you’re asleep, offer you better sleep techniques, and often provide sleep sounds. You can use them to track your sleeping habits, how much you sleep, the quality of sleep you experience, and how often you experience a sleep disturbance.
Although scientific studies do not validate the data provided by sleep recorder apps, these apps can still serve as a helpful tool to address sleep issues you were unaware of. Some companies are in the process of creating more sleep recorder apps that can aid health professionals like sleep specialists.
Perhaps the coolest thing about the apps is their mobility. You can download them on any of your smart devices. Many people choose to put the apps on their phones. In addition to sound recording and sleep analysis, sleep recorder apps can serve as sleep aids and alarm clocks.
What Should I Look For in a Sleep Recorder App?
That depends. What do you need? Are you looking for something that just records and offers no other features?
Maybe you want an all-inclusive sleep recorder app that plays white noise for you at night and wakes you up with an alarm in the morning. You can even find apps that include mindfulness meditation. There are so many different types of sleep recorder apps for you to choose from.
What Are Some Common Sleep Disorders?
As mentioned previously, all of the sleep recorder apps we will include in this article have different features. If you use more than one, you will probably find that they produce different data when it comes to sleep analysis.
Seventy million Americans have sleep disorders. One-hundred million of them are not getting enough sleep; that’s one-third of the US population.
If you’re trying to use a sleep recorder app to see if you exhibit symptoms of a sleep disorder, you should first know what the most common sleep disorders look like.
Nearly 80 sleep disorders have been discovered. Here is a list of the most common sleep disorders:
- Sleep Apnea: Sleep apnea is a breathing issue; it happens when the person stops breathing while sleeping. There are two possible reasons for this: their airway is blocked, or their brain isn’t receiving the signals to remember how to breathe.
- Narcolepsy: Narcolepsy causes people to be excessively sleepy to the point that they unintentionally fall asleep at various intervals during the day. Although any age group can suffer from narcolepsy, it often starts presenting itself in teenagers and young adults between 15 and 25.
- Insomnia: People with insomnia either have difficulty falling asleep or struggle with staying asleep. Some signs of insomnia include waking up throughout the night, feeling fatigued during the day, losing concentration, and poor quality sleep.
- Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS): As the name implies, the RLS sleep disorder occurs when a person’s legs keep feeling like they need to move. It is disruptive, making it hard for sufferers to rest. Lying down or sitting for prolonged periods are two activities that can cause RLS.
5 Best Sleep Recorder Apps To Try
Get ready to take notes. Here are some of the most recommended sleep recorder apps that you can download. Each of them were rated at least 4.0 out of 5.0 stars in the Google Play Store and Apple Store.
Coming in with a whopping 5 million downloads in the Google Play Store alone is Sleep Monitor. The app tracks and records sleep cycle data, and it even has a sleep reminder feature. The app also comes with the following features:
- New feature: Sleep Trends - Weekly and monthly sleep data.
- Record snoring or dream talking - Records sounds such as snoring, talking, and teeth grinding while you sleep.
- Mark your sleep habits - Compares your sleep data to other factors that can affect your sleep, like diet and exercise.
- Track your sleep phases - Tracks the five sleep cycles and the four sleep stages, which include non-rapid eye movement (non-REM) 1, non-REM 2, non-REM 3, and REM.
Sleep Monitor allows you to take notes within the app. It can also play relaxing music to help you fall asleep.
Find out if you snore once and for all with this sleep recorder. SnoreLab will tell you how often and how intensely you snore at night. The app’s creators claim that SnoreLab has monitored over 50 million nights of sleep.
SnoreLab can offer you advice for reducing your snoring, and it will keep track of aspects of your lifestyle to see what causes you to snore in the first place.
SnoreLab’s features include:
- Recording sound samples of snoring
- Snoring intensity tracker
- Nightly snoring measurements
- Snore detection algorithms
- Snoring remedies/advice
- Night-recording mode
- Email sound files
- Sleep statistics
Do I Snore or Grind
Track your snoring and teeth grinding with this sleep recorder app. Do I Snore or Grind will record you overnight and deliver the results the next morning. You can record up to 5 nights of snoring or grinding for free before the app asks if you’d like to pay for it.
Do I Snore or Grind will recommend ways that you can stop snoring or grinding your teeth. If you suffer from both issues, the app will tell you which is more severe.
The latest version of the app includes:
- Sleep cycle tracking
- Snoring sensitivity tracking
- Snoring self-tests
- Sleep phase tracking
- Snoring Shop/solutions
BetterSleep provides sleep tracking, stories, sleep sounds, and guided meditation. Discover your sleep pattern and figure out ways to improve your sleep. Several health professionals recommend BetterSleep, and 91% of the app’s users have reported getting better sleep after using it for a week.
- Sleep tracker
- Sleep science information
- Sleep sounds like music and white noise
- Guided meditation
- Bedtime stories
- Sleep Moves/exercises
- Breathing techniques
- Bedtime reminder
Sleep Tracker by Leap Fitness Group tracks your sleep cycles, records snoring and dream talking, provides a smart alarm, and even has sleep sounds that you can play.
There are a number of sleep recorder apps named Sleep Tracker. However, this one is the most popular of the bunch. It encourages its users to create happier, healthier lives by improving their sleep quality.
Sleep Tracker offers:
- Sleep cycle tracker
- Nighttime voice recordings
- Snoring recordings
- Sleep sounds
- Smart alarm
- Notes feature
- Weekly and monthly sleep trends
Sleep recorder apps are an innovative way to track your sleep quality. They even provide you with guidance for improving your sleep or stopping behaviors like snoring or grinding teeth.
The five sleep recorder apps featured in this article are some of the best you can download. Have you tried a sleep recorder app before? What was the result?
Whether you are a snorer, teeth grinder, or sleep talker, you need a quality mattress to go with your sleep recorder app to help you get a restful night’s sleep. SONU Sleep has created the perfect mattress for people who exhibit disruptive sleep behavior or suffer from sleep disorders.
SONU’s supreme mattresses provide you with the support you need to properly align your spine, keep your airways open, and reduce the amount of pressure on your upper torso. If you’re ready for a superb sleep experience, consider SONU.
Your journey to better sleep awaits.
Are sleep recorder apps free?
Some of the Apple Store and Google Play Store apps are free. Others provide a trial period before requiring payment.
Do I need more than one sleep recorder app?
One app should suffice. Look for one that has most of the features you are looking for.
Can sleep recorder apps detect sleep disorders?
Most of the apps track your sleep behavior and patterns, which could indicate that you have a sleep disorder. To be officially diagnosed, you need to visit your doctor.
Overview of smartphone applications for sleep analysis | NIH
How to Pick the Best Sleep App for You | Sleep Foundation
Common Sleep Disorders: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment | Cleveland Clinic